Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
1. Recording and Posting Schedule - We record our episodes six weeks in advance of their air date. We do this for a variety of reasons, but mainly it's so that we have enough time to do decent post-production work and to have the episodes transcribed into text so that the transcription posts with the episode (that way hearing-impaired followers don't have to wait for content).
2. Do we really read all the fics before we recommend them? Yes! Yes, we do. It's hard work, but somebody's got to do it ;) And we would never "rec" a fic we hadn't read.
3. How do we select the fics we recommend? - First and foremost we are looking for fics that are well-written, have clear characters and storyline and little to no grammatical, punctuation or usage errors. Also, works should be formatted using the standard manuscript format for novels.* As for content, we are very open-minded, with exceptions.
4. EFA will not recommend fics with the following:
Please note: We are not saying that fics that tackle these subjects are without value. We know that there are some truly well-written works and that in some cases come from a place of catharsis for their authors. If you feel that any of these rules are unfair please do reach out to us and let's talk about it!
5. Reverse Sponsors - What Are They? When we started this podcast we had no sponsors, but we still wanted to provide a sponsorship "spot" on the show. So we came up with the idea of providing free advertising to Earp-related "stuff". So whenever we don't have a paid sponsor for an episode, we have a "Reverse Sponsor" where we will promote something from within the Earp Fandom.
6. How Can I Become a Reverse Sponsor? Um, well... you see. You can't. Because we provide these spots for free means we get to pick the subjects of them. Sorry.
7. Ok, so how can I be a normal Sponsor? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Let us know who you are and what you want to promote and we'll chat about possibilities and options. Also, THANK YOU, YOU'RE AWESOME!!
Glossary of Terms
Fanfiction (fanfic or 'fic') - original fiction based on existing media (TV, Film, Books, etc). In the case of this show, we are focused exclusively on fanfiction based off of the television series Wynonna Earp.
Alternate Universe (AU) - Taking the characters from an existing property and putting them in an entirely new environment (timeline, location, universe, etc).
AO3 - Shorthand for archiveofourown.org - the largest repository of fanfiction online.
Beta Reader (Beta) - The writing editors of the fanfiction world.
Canon-Compliant or Adjacent - Where a story follows the time, storyline and 'mythos' of the media it's based off of.
Canon-Divergent - Where a story follows the time, storyline and 'mythos' of the media it's based off of only to a point and then breaks off in it's own direction.
Fanfic.net - Shorthand for fanfiction.net - another populiar fanfiction website
OC - Shorthand for "original character", not from the source material.
*What Does Novel Format Look Like?
EFA won't recommend your fic if it isn't formatted correctly. The most important feature of novel formatting is spaces between paragraphs, and beginning a new paragraph for every new speaker. The same applies even if one the characters doesn't speak (see pic for example). Not separating speakers makes the work difficult to read and follow.